Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C
Roman Simovic, LSO String Ensemble
The LSO’s magnificent string sound is world renowned and this recording marks the LSO Live debut of the LSO String Ensemble, led by LSO Leader Roman Simovic, who directs a performance of the much loved Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings, together with Bartók’s Divertimento.
The Serenade has proved to be one of Tchaikovsky’s most enduringly popular works, a piece he described as being “passionately in love with”. Inspired in part by Mozart, its elegant music weaves Russian folk-song, and a fine example of the composer’s beloved Waltz, with an elegiac musical centrepiece.
Also featured on this release is Bartók’s Divertimento, one of the composer’s last works before leaving Europe for exile in the US. The Divertimento is a highly original work in its own unique idiom, contrasting two buoyant and light-hearted movements with a sombre Adagio in four sections.
|Performers||LSO String Ensemble|
2. Serenade for Strings in C Major: II. Valse: Moderato – Tempo di valse
3. Serenade for Strings in C Major: III. Elegie: Larghetto elegiaco
4. Serenade for Strings in C Major: IV. Finale (Tema russo): Andante – Allegro con spirito
5. Divertimento for String Orchestra: I. Allegro ma non troppo
6. Divertimento for String Orchestra: II. Molto adagio
7. Divertimento for String Orchestra: III. Allegro assai